sábado, 22 de febrero de 2014

Goal 2.1 Multiple Intelligences and their impact in learning



For students, knowing their learning styles and what intelligence they have more developed is a tool that can aid them in their studies.  Personally, I do know my thing is music. Added to this, I learn better by listening than by watching something. For me to work better, I must listen to music, and I prefer places with lots of white noise (like people talking in a cafeteria, listening to fans, air conditioners, etc.) to work in. Now, taking this into account, I believe distance education can allow us to create our own learning environment, something traditional learning lacks and strictly forbids. On the other hand, like in my case, instructions can be difficult to understand. I prefer to listen to a teacher saying the specifications for an assignment rather than reading them because the second option consumes more of my time than it should (I am no good at retaining written information). With these limitations, yes, sometimes I have felt alone while learning through an online platform because it involves lots of visual interaction. The fact the facilitator is away can result in poor motivation.
Although I am good organizing my deadlines through a calendar, I know not everyone can do this and even prefer to do things at the last moment, which I do not. My emotions also play an important part, whereas if I am not feeling happy or are actually all the way down to depression, I DO leave the assignment for last. I think that to be successful in a distance course the student must be well-organized and interested in the course, so on that is the reason why I like to take my time with each assignment, so I can actually develop it the best way possible.

Solutions


  1. I think the online facilitator should provide the student with the most options possible to be in touch during the course. Instructions could be presented in more than one form to fit different students’ needs. If this does not happen, the learner should create his own learning environment to make the tasks more enjoyable or at least less stressful. For example, if musical, listen to music that helps him concentrate and work.
  2. Another thing is the student should keep track of his assignments with help of a calendar or agenda he can carry with him all the time or have easy access to it. He should place some alarms as reminders and try to work in the assignment one at least one day before it is due or early during day-time. If the assignment is done a few minutes before or even a few hours, it will result in poor quality and no meaningful learning.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario